Damp Aid Home

Damp & Timber Survey Specialists UK

Welcome to Damp Aid UK property care  specialists  damp-proofing & timber treatment surveyors. Providing damp & timber survey, woodworm infestation survey, dry rot survey & specialist property care timber and damp reports, as requested from homebuyer surveyors & mortgage lenders. DampAid experts also carry out independent damp and timber surveys for suspected rising damp, wood rot decay & wood boring insect attack for homeowners, buyers, sellers, & equity release companies.

Damp Aid UK qualified C.S.R.T. surveyors have been providing honest reliable detailed damp & timber reports since 1984.  We are recognised as one of UKs most established and respected specialists in surveying and correctly diagnosing damp & decay problems, together with providing chemical free, cost effective environmentally friendly solutions for controlling rising damp and timber decay, thus avoiding unnecessary, costly & disruptive chemical damp-proofing & timber treatments offered by most remedial damp-proofing & specialist timber treatment companies.

Specialist damp and timber surveyors who can provide comprehensive, impartial pre-purchase damp and timber reports for mortgage loan purposes to help buyers decide whether to continue with the house purchase or negotiate the sale price of the house / flat before exchanging contracts. Our woodworm & rising damp inspectors also provide reports for property owners applying for equity release loans who require walls testing for damp where high damp meter readings were recorded during home buyers & valuation surveys. These damp and timber reports are usually requested by banks and building societies as a condition of a mortgage offer being accepted so that they can be sure that the structure of property is free from rising dampness, wood boring insects, and wood rotting fungi.

Make a survey enquiry

Damp Aid UK, specialist damp company diagnosing damp and decay in buildings  throughout the UK.  We have been established (over 30 years) as an independent damp & timber specialist surveying company.  Our surveyors carry out combined damp & timbers survey and provide reports.  We also carry out damp-proofing, woodworm and timber decay treatments along with alternative chemical free environmentally friendly treatments for dry rot & rising dampness.  Our clients include householders, rented out homes for landlords, commercial premises, builders, property developers & local housing associations.  We also carry out surveys for re-mortgage & equity release companies who sometimes require retention works to be carried out in a house as part of the mortgage loan conditions.  Our specialist damp & timber survey & reports for mortgage purposes, will satisfy the mortgage lenders on any dampness or timber decay problem.  We provide advice on how to cure rising damp, treat woodworm, dry rot, timber decay and condensation.

We currently offer three damp & timber survey / quotation options plus our Troubleshooter 2 option

 view survey options

Damp Aid UK specialist timber & damp surveyors (C.S.R.T. – a qualification which is often a requirement necessary for reports to be accepted by mortgage lenders, banks and building societies) are specifically trained and qualified to carry out a damp survey and timber assessment of all types of dampness and timber problems when surveying  a property. They will provide an accurate diagnosis of the actual cause, not just identify the presenting symptoms.

The incorrect diagnosis of dampness is perhaps the biggest area of concern to home owners and purchasers in the UK. For worried property purchasers, problems are compounded by advice frequently given by building surveyors that a free survey / damp test be undertaken by a specialist contractor thus passing the responsibility to a person who only gets paid if he can show that there is a need for remedial work to be done.

Many properties which we have inspected, having been told they have a ‘history of dampness’, are actually fine.  Past damp-proof treatments have proved ineffective simply because either the problem being treated did not exist, or because the cause had been misdiagnosed. For example, dampness at the base of a wall can be caused by moisture descending unseen through the core of a wall until it reaches an impervious layer, such as a physical damp-proof course or a previously injected chemical damp-proof course, forcing it to spread outwards. Re-injecting a chemical damp-proof course, at additional cost, will not cure this problem.

Some estate agents have arrangements with damp-proofing companies, where the company carries out a damp & timber survey. These  surveys are usually free and carried out by commission based surveyors or “salesmen” who will, after testing the walls for damp, submit an estimate & report which invariably includes the cost for a  chemical injected damp-proof course & a price for woodworm treatment.

Before waiting for a purchaser to have a ‘free damp and timber survey’ it would be considered prudent, for any homeowner selling their property, to have their own damp survey and written report undertaken to find the full extent and costs of any suspected rising damp, woodworm, & timber decay thus avoiding any potential buyer withdrawing their offer and pulling out of a property sale.

In many cases where the advice has been to have a chemical damp-proof injection carried out, we have found alternative solutions.  By carrying out basic remedial repairs to a house such as lowering the external ground level to below the damp-proof course, and installing additional sub-floor air bricks, the “wick effect” has been reduced.  This means the uptake of moisture from the ground is lower than the evaporation rate from the surface of the wall, thus the problem has been controlled & cured without the use of damp proofing chemicals.

Many of our calls are from clients who have just received a home buyer report which states that high moisture meter readings were recorded to the ground floor walls of the property they are thinking of buying, and they ask “should I still buy it?”  We advise them that they should keep an open mind and remember that if the property was built after 1875, there is probably a physical damp course in-situ.

Even if a property does not have a physical damp-proof course we can use alternative cost effective remedies, which are chemical free and environmentally friendly and used to control rising dampness such as reducing raised ground levels and installing extra air-bricks to improve sub-floor ventilation to the moisture reservoir.  If plaster has been affected by dampness and contaminated with salts then we use a physical damp-proof cavity membrane, incorporating warm wall insulating plaster, to reduce heat loss as well as preventing further dampness internally.

There are many reasons why high moisture readings are recorded to walls during a home inspection. For example the property may have been empty and without heating for quite some time therefore condensation could be present.  Another common problem is the guttering may be defective or blocked, resulting in rainwater overflowing and hitting the ground below.  The water will splash back onto the brickwork and, if high ground levels are present, this will occur above the DPC line eventually resulting in low level damp penetration which will give the impression of rising damp!

Should you require the services of a specialist damp company & woodworm treatment firm to survey a new house / basement, or flat that you are in the process of buying, selling, intending to let out or part exchange, we offer a prompt, professional service.  To speak to a specialist damp & timber surveyor for independent advice call 07860 222 743.  To arrange a damp & timber survey / damp report on a new home that you have just bought, are moving into or a property that is about to be sold fill in our survey enquiry form or telephone your local office

Damp & timber survey for house and flat purchase, specialist reports for mortgage providers, damp-proofing quotation and woodworm treatment are provided by us in the following North West, Midlands and South East regions / areas
 Birmingham, Cheshire, ChesterWrexham, Lancashire, Liverpool, London, Manchester,
Merseyside, Middlesex, North Wales, Shropshire, South East England, West Midlands, Wirral
& Yorkshire